Paleo Pop Tarts
Flaky cassava crust pop tarts with berry filling.
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Cassava Flour
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Salt
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Baking Soda
- 0.333 cup 0.333 cup 0.333 cup Organic Coconut Oil, solid, not melted
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Eggs, whisked
- 0.333 cup 0.333 cup 0.333 cup Water, cold
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Egg Whites, whisked until frothy
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Strawberry Preserves (click for recipe)
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the cassava flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Cut in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg, water, and maple syrup. Stir just until dough comes together.
- Form dough into a ball.
- Roll dough out on a cassava floured surface in a 12"x12" rectangle. (I recommend using a ruler to measure and cutting off excess with a pizza cutter to get it nice and square.)
- Cut the dough into twelve 3"x4" rectangles with a pizza cutter.
- Run a thin spatula underneath the rectangles to make sure they aren't sticking to the counter.
- Brush the tops of all the rectangles with beaten egg white.
- On half of the rectangles, place a heaping tablespoon of preserves.
- Top with the other rectangles, egg white side down against the preserves.
- Crimp all the edges with a fork.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg white.
- Cut 2-3 vents on the top of each pop tart.
- For very neat-looking pop tarts, cut off excess dough on the edges of the tarts to create nice straight edges.
- Carefully transfer the pop tarts to greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
I prefer Otto's brand cassava for best results with this recipe.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week