Our recipe for lasagne avoids conventional wheat-based noodles, using instead some thinly sliced zucchini. This simple substitution makes all the difference in this dish, contributing even more flavor to a favorite of many. For a primal twist, you could even add a little cheese!
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Green Bell Peppers, chopped
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Basil, fresh
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Oregano, fresh, or dried
- 1 1 1 Zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1 1/4 cup 1 1/4 cup 1 1/4 cup Mushrooms, white, raw, sliced
- 15 oz 15 oz 15 oz Tomato Sauce, no salt added
- 3 cloves 3 cloves 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 6 oz 6 oz 6 oz Tomato Paste, no salt added
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Primal Palate Garlic & Herb Seasoning, (sub: 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper)
- Lasagna (Cappello's), (Pasta Alternative) Buy your lasagna sheets from our friends at Cappello's
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add in garlic, onion and green pepper, and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and tomato sauce.
- Add in parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, continue to stir.
- Bring sauce to a light boil, then remove from heat.
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish with coconut oil.
- Place a thin layer (1/2 inch) of the sauce in the baking dish.
- Layer zucchini and mushrooms over sauce, and repeat, alternating layering of sauce, then zucchini and mushrooms.
- Bake lasagne at 325°F for 15 minutes, covered with foil.
- After 15 minutes, remove foil, increase temperature to 350°F, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
The zucchini and mushrooms will release water upon cooking, with that in mind, the sauce for this recipe is thicker than would be expected. The addition of a second can of tomato sauce to the recipe is fine if you prefer a sauce that is not as thick.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free Dairy Free GAPS Meat Shellfish Free Sugar Free Whole30
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
I made this for dinner last night and it was absolutely fabulous! Not only is it incredibly tasty but amazingly easy to make. I ended up making it with ground turkey instead of ground beef since I only had ground turkey on hand. It will definitely be gracing the menu frequently in my house! 🙂
What a great weeknight recipe. I added some crushed red chili peppers for some heat, delish!
So easy to make and tasted great! We make this regularly at our house and you can make a lot of different variations.
We aren’t huge mushroom eaters. Do you think I can just remove them from the list, or should I sub eggplant or something else?
Made this tonight for dinner – absolutely loved it!
Made this last week, I didn’t have mushrooms but I added asparagus I had in the fridge, I was delicious! Really easy to make and pleased my non-paleo friends!
Absolutely Amazing!!!! Those are my 8 yr. olds words. He swore while I was making it he wasn’t going to even try it. I will definitely make this a regular part of our menu and substitute other veggies for the zucchini.
We had tons of zucchini in the fridge that needed to be used, so I searched for some recipes and found this one. It was so easy to make and so delicious we had to control ourselves to not go back for a third serving. My roommate does not adhere to a Paleo diet, but she is kind enough (or maybe the better term is brave enough) to try things when I cook and she absolutely loved it. This recipe will definitely be one that is used often in my kitchen!!
I made this a couple of nights ago, following the recipe exactly with one exception. Instead of using a 9X13 pan, I used a 9X9 and got 3 good layers. This is supposed to serve 4. Between myself, Sweetie (my wife), Bunny (our 17 yo DS), and Bunny’s GF, I should have made AT LEAST 2 of these! I think the only thing left in the pan was a teeny bit of the aroma. Absolutely delicious….completely scrumptious…and a definite keeper of a recipe! WOWZERS! Sweetie can’t eat cheese, so this is the first lasagna she’s tasted…..in forever, I think. She loved it!
Oh my gosh!!!! This was absolutely delicious!!!! The flavors meld so well together!!!! We didn’t even miss the pasta!!!! So quick and easy to make!!!! There was nothing left!!!! I am definitely going to be making this again and also make a batch for hot lunches!!!! Soo happy to find something that even the youngest loved!!!! Thank you for sharing it!!!!