Slow-Cooked Beef Ragu
Beef Ragu was a meal my husband and I really enjoyed back when we lived in Canberra - the perfect meal to get through a winter in one of Australia's coldest cities! Back then we often served it with pasta, which we later discovered had contributed to some health problems - which kind of took the fun out of things. With a few key adjustments to the ingredients list, I am really pleased to bring you my latest (re)creation: Slow Cooker Beef Ragu. What I really love about this meal is that the flavours work so well together, the beef is really tender, and the sauce is rich - even though I have substituted in beef stock for the more traditional red wine (in the interests of keeping it healthy!)
- 2.2 lb 2.2 lb 2.2 lb Blade Beef Chuck Steak, Cut into small pieces
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Arrowroot Flour
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Sea Salt
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Onion, medium, sliced
- 4 cloves 4 cloves 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 - 3 pieces 2 - 3 pieces 2 - 3 pieces Celery, Approx 2 cups, chopped
- 2 - 3 whole 2 - 3 whole 2 - 3 whole Carrots, Approx 2 cups, chopped
- 30 oz 30 oz 30 oz Diced Tomatoes, organic (2 cans)
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Beef stock
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp dried Thyme
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Season arrowroot with black pepper and salt in a large bowl, add the chuck steak and coat well.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large fry pan on moderate heat. Add chuck steak and cook for about 5 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove and add to slow cooker. (You may need to add the steak in batches and use extra coconut oil between batches)
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove from the slow cooker and serve with your favourite side.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week