Shepherd’s Pie is a perennial comfort food favorite. By swapping mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes, we made this low-carb, Paleo-friendly variation on the classic recipe.
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 1 1 1 Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 2 2 Carrots, grated
- 1 1 1 Zucchini, grated
- 1 1 1 Yellow Squash, grated
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 head 2 head 2 head Cauliflower
- 2 lb 2 lb 2 lb Ground Beef, pork or lamb would also work
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Sausage Seasoning
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion, carrots, zucchini, and yellow squash until tender, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop the cauliflower into small chunks, and cover it with water in a large soup pot.
- Bring the water to a boil, cover it with a lid, and cook the cauliflower until fork tender (about 15 minutes).
- Season the ground meat with the Sausage Seasoning, and mix thoroughly.
- Place the meat in a 9x13-inch baking dish, and pat it down to a uniform thickness.
- Cover the meat with an even layer of the sautéed vegetables, and bake for 40 minutes.
- Drain the water from the cauliflower, and place the cauliflower in a food processor or high speed blender, processing until creamy.
- Remove the meat from the oven, and set the oven to broil on high.
- Pour an even layer of the cauliflower over the meat, and broil for 10-15 minutes until the cauliflower has golden peaks.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week