Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Shepherd’s Pie is one of my family’s favorite things to eat. It may even be in like, a top 10 list of my kid’s favorite dinners. Shepherd’s pie with mashed sweet potatoes is definitely a favorite. I love the sweetness of the mash & it’s a fun way to bring some color into this hearty dish.
- 3 whole 3 whole 3 whole White Sweet Potatoes
- or broth, for mashor broth, for mash
- 1 Tbsp for the topping, 2 Tbsp for the filling1 Tbsp for the topping, 2 Tbsp for the filling
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb Ground Lamb
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Carrots, sliced
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup White Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Rosemary, fresh, chopped
- 4 cloves 4 cloves 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 6 oz 6 oz 6 oz Tomato Paste
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- .25 cup .25 cup .25 cup Chicken Broth, free range, or water
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 400. Wash & prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Place potatoes in the oven, on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Cook for 30-45 minutes until soft. Remove from oven & set aside. Once potatoes are finished, lower the oven temp to 350.
- While the potatoes are baking, make the filling.
- On the stove top in a heavy bottom skillet sauté onions, mushrooms & carrots in butter or oil until soft.
- Add in ground lamb & fresh garlic. Crumble the meat & stir until thoroughly cooked.
- Add in the tomato paste, rosemary & mix until well combined.
- If mixture becomes too dry add up to ¼ cup of the liquid - broth or water.
- Simmer, add salt & pepper to taste.
- If you're using a skillet that can go inside the oven, you won't need to move the meat mixture. If you're baking in a casserole or dish, pour the meat mixture into the dish & set aside while you make the topping.
- Make the topping by scooping the insides of the sweet potatoes & placing them into a food processor. Add in the butter & liquid (broth or milk) until the mash has a nice spreadable consistency. Taste & season with salt & pepper as needed.
- Spread mash over the top of the meat mixture.
- Lower oven temp to 350 & place in the oven for approx 30 minutes until everything is hot & bubbly!
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeEgg Free Meat Nut Free Shellfish Free Sugar Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.