Pumpkin Chicken Chili
Pumpkin is a great way to bring harvest flavors to a classic chili dish. We used a whole pasture-raised chicken for this recipe, but you could also use beef or pork too. This recipe is from our second cookbook, Gather - The Art of Paleo Entertaining (available on Amazon).
- 1/2 Tbsp 1/2 Tbsp 1/2 Tbsp Onion Powder, pumpkin chili spice
- 1/2 Tbsp 1/2 Tbsp 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder, pumpkin chili spice
- 1/2 Tbsp 1/2 Tbsp 1/2 Tbsp Chipotle Powder, pumpkin chili spice
- 3/4 Tbsp 3/4 Tbsp 3/4 Tbsp ground Cinnamon, pumpkin chili spice
- 1/4 Tbsp 1/4 Tbsp 1/4 Tbsp Smoked Paprika, pumpkin chili spice
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg, pumpkin chili spice
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp ground Ginger, pumpkin chili spice
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Duck Fat, or other fat
- 5 lb 5 lb 5 lb Whole Chicken, skin and bones removed, meat cut into cubes
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Yellow Onion
- 3 whole 3 whole 3 whole Green Bell Peppers
- 28 oz 28 oz 28 oz Fire Roasted Tomato
- 6 oz 6 oz 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 2 cups 2 cups 2 cups free range, organic Chicken Stock
- 14 oz 14 oz 14 oz Pumpkin Puree
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- This recipe is from our cookbook: Gather
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- In a small bowl, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle powder, cinnamon, smoked paprika, nutmeg, and ginger to make the Pumpkin Chili Spice. Set Aside. To streamline this step, combine 1 Tbsp of Pumpkin Pie Spice with 1 tsp each of Garlic, Onion, and Chipotle powder.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp of the fat to the skillet, and add half of the chicken to the skillet, along with half of the onion. Season with 1/2 tablespoon the Pumpkin Chili Spice, and sear the chicken on all sides. Transfer the chicken and onions to a large dutch oven, and repeat the process with the remaining chicken, onion, and spices. If your Dutch Oven is large enough, you can do everything at once.
- Heat the Dutch oven over medium heat and add the green bell peppers, chicken stock, fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, and pureed pumpkin. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Season with the remaining Pumpkin Chili Spice, along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring the chili to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and cook for 4 hours. The chili can simmer on the stove until serving.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week