Portabello Mushroom and Kale Turkey Burgers with Zesty Cabbage Kale Slaw
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- .25 cup .25 cup .25 cup Onion, white or sweet varieties are best
- 1 clove 1 clove 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Baby Bella Mushrooms, 4 very large mushrooms, or 5-6 small ones
- 1 bunch 1 bunch 1 bunch Kale, washed, stemmed and sliced thin
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp fresh Oregano, finely chopped, leaves only
- .25 tsp .25 tsp .25 tsp Salt
- 1 head 1 head 1 head Red Cabbage, Small head of cabbage, sliced very thinly
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Carrots, peeled and sliced into thin matchsticks
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Lime, Zest + Juice (total 1/4 cup juice; add extra juice if 1 lime doesn't yield that much)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Ginger Root, peeled and finely grated
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Sea Salt, or to taste
- 2 pieces 2 pieces 2 pieces Grain-Free Sandwich Bread (click for recipe), or grain-free bun of choice
- Make the burgers: Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet and add the onions and garlic. Saute until soft and translucent. Add the mushrooms and saute until softened, then add the kale, stir a few times and cover the pan. Cook down until the kale is softened and has reached a deep green color. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
- When the mushroom/kale mixture has cooled, combine it with the turkey meat, oregano, chimicurri, and salt and stir vigorously to combine. You can also use your hands if it's easier.
- Heat remaining 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Portion the burgers into small patties (mine were about 3-4 Tbsp worth of the turkey mixture) and fry until crispy and browned on the bottom, about 2-4 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side. They are done when the burgers feel firm when pressed and the juice that runs out is clear.
- To make the slaw: In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, carrots and kale together to combine. Whisk together the remaining ingredients (oil, lime juice and zest, garlic and salt) in a separate bowl, then pour over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- To assemble: Either coat the buns with mayo and chimichurri sauce and build the burger + slaw + avocado on top, or for a paleo option, serve the burger (topped with mayo mixed with chimichurri, or just additional chimichurri) on top of the bed of slaw and garnish with avocado slices.
For Assembly: - use a bun of your choice, or skip and serve the burger on top of a bed of slaw. - Top with sliced avocado and chimichurri mayo (just mix 1-2 Tbsp mayo with 1/2 - 1 Tbsp chimichurri or adjust to taste) The slaw recipes makes many extra servings; feel free to halve it if you don't want lots of leftovers. But it keeps very well, especially if you don't toss it with the dressing until you're ready to eat it, for several days.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week