Pete Servold (of Pete's Paleo fame) originally texted this recipe to me a few months before our wedding. Once things finally calmed down after our honeymoon, I made it and it blew me away! Pete has been kind enough to give us permission to publish his recipe. You can make it yourselves, or order some of his special secret recipe on his website, www.petespaleo.com
- 3 lb 3 lb 3 lb Pork Belly
- 2 oz 2 oz 2 oz Honey, Raw
- 2 oz 2 oz 2 oz Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Rosemary, dried, (ground)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Sage, (rubbed, ie ground)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- pinch pinch pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 6 cup 6 cup 6 cup Chicken Broth, free range
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- In a small mixing bowl, make a rub/paste using the honey, salt, olive oil, rosemary, sage, black pepper, garlic, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Scour the belly on the skin side 1/4" deep in a diamond pattern.
- Rub the poultice into all of the belly and wrap tightly in plastic wrap or vac-pac.
- Place wrapped pork belly in a dish or pan, and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Pull out of plastic wrap and smoke for 1 hour at 200 degrees (recommend pecan or apple wood). If you don't have a smoker you can omit this step.
- Place in a cast iron dutch oven and add enough chicken or vegetable stock to cover the pork belly.
- Cook at 250 degrees for 12 hours. Once cooked, let stand at room temperature until the pork belly has cooled down.
- Place the cooled belly on a sheet tray and refrigerate for one hour, until firm.
- Slice the pork belly into 1 inch thick pieces (any thinner, and they'll fall apart - so don't go by our photos.... trust me!)
- Fry in a dry cast iron skillet over medium high heat until GBD ("Golden Brown and Delicious")
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeBreakfast Coconut Free Dairy Free Egg Free Meat Nut Free Shellfish Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
This recipe looks awesome! I look forward to trying it. Just wanted to call your attention to a tiny typo. In step 2, I believe it should read “score” not “scour”. Thanks for the fabulous recipes!!!!!
How long will it keep in the refrigerator and freezer?