Pepperoni and Sausage Supreme Pizza Bake
Because my children and I have not followed a paleo path all of our lives, I find that occasionally incorporating the familiar flavors of old favorites into our paleo meals helps keep everyone happy. This dish, dubbed "pizzagna" by my youngest son, is a family favorite. I like to make it a bit quicker and easier by using cooked spaghetti squash from my freezer stash. I didn't factor the spaghetti squash cooking time into the overall prep or cook time, so give yourself another hour if you don't have some already cooked on hand. There are a lot of great paleo-friendly jarred sauces out there--just be sure to read labels and watch for added sugars and undesirable oils such as canola or soybean.
- 4 cup 4 cup 4 cup Baked Spaghetti Squash (click for recipe)
- 24 oz 24 oz 24 oz Marinara Sauce, two 15 oz jars pizza sauce, or homemade equivalent
- 3 oz 3 oz 3 oz Uncured Pepperoni, cut into desired bite-sized pieces
- 0.5 lb 0.5 lb 0.5 lb Sausage Links, diced, or ground sausage
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Onion, diced
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup white, raw Mushrooms, diced
- 0.33 cup 0.33 cup 0.33 cup Olives, sliced
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Place pepperoni in large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, until some of the fat has rendered. You do not want it to crisp. Remove pepperoni and discard all but 1 teaspoon of fat.
- Add sausage, onion, bell pepper and mushrooms to pot and saute until onion and pepper are softened. You can leave the vegetables out of this step and only brown the sausage if you prefer your vegetables to have a bit of a firmer texture in the finished dish.
- Add squash, pepperoni, pizza sauce and any remaining vegetables to the pot and stir to combine. We like our pizza bake extra "saucy," but you can add the pizza sauce slowly and reserve some if you prefer.
- Place mixture in a greased 9x13 or similarly-sized baking dish and bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, until edges are nice and bubbly.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week