Paleo Pie Crust (Vegan Adaptable)
- 1.5 cups 1.5 cups 1.5 cups Blanched Almond Flour
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Egg Whites, 2 tablespoon egg replacement of choice
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Almond Milk, cold, or water
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the almond flour, coconut flour and salt a few times to break up all of the clumps.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg white and almond milk or water.
- Add the butter and pulse 5-7 times until it is broken into clumps slightly smaller than a pea.
- With the processor running, add the egg/water mixture in a thin stream until the dough forms a ball of dough.
- Shut off the machine and let it sit for 15 seconds before proceeding (this allows the flour to absorb the moisture from the buttermilk)
- Turn the dough out on to a piece of wax or parchment paper, gather into a ball and press it into a thick disc. Cover with another piece of wax or parchment paper and roll into a flat disc about 10"-11" in diameter.
- Loosen the parchment from both sides of the dough and then carefully slide the dough into a lightly greased 9" pie or tart pan. Alternately, you can simply turn the dough directly into a greased pie pan and use the palm of your hand to gently spread the dough.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (and up to overnight) before using.
To pre-bake: Preheat the oven to 350F. Once preheated, transfer the pan from the fridge to the oven without letting it warm to room temperature and bake for 10 minutes until the edges begin to turn slightly golden. Remove from oven and cool slightly before filling and finishing the baking process. (Note: If the recipe does not call for pre-baking the pie shell, skip this step).
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week