Paleo Mustard Braised Short Ribs with Mashed Cauliflower
These delicious short ribs are slow braised for hours until they're fork tender and bursting with flavor! Served over creamy, lush mashed cauliflower, this meal is perfect for cold days!
- 2 lb 2 lb 2 lb Beef Short Ribs
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1.5 Tbsp 1.5 Tbsp 1.5 Tbsp Salt and Pepper
- 4 cloves 4 cloves 4 cloves Garlic, smashed
- 3 cup 3 cup 3 cup Beef Broth
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Dijon Mustard
- 0.75 cup 0.75 cup 0.75 cup Almond Milk, (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 8 sprigs 8 sprigs 8 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 1 head 1 head 1 head Cauliflower, broken into florets
- 0.75 cup 0.75 cup 0.75 cup Water
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Salted Butter, (or ghee)
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Grass-fed, Whole Milk, (or non-dairy milk)
- 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp Black Pepper
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bring your short ribs to room temperature. Dry them off thoroughly with paper towels and sprinkle generous amounts of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper on all sides of each short ribs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When it's hot, add the short ribs to the pan and do not move them for 3-5 minutes, or until a dark crust forms on that side. Repeat on all of the other sides of the short ribs. Cook the garlic cloves in the pan at this time as well, getting them golden brown on both sides. Then remove the short ribs and garlic to a plate.
- Add the beef broth to the pot to deglaze it. With a wooden spoon, stir the broth around the pan, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Whisk in the mustard, milk, sea salt, and fresh thyme until evenly combined. Bring to a simmer and let it cook for 3 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Add the short ribs and garlic back to the Dutch oven. Cover the pan with a lid, place it in the preheated oven, and let your short ribs braise for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add the cauliflower florets to a large pot with the water. Cover the pot and steam the florets over medium heat until they are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower and add the florets to the bowl of a large food processor. Add the butter or ghee, milk, sea salt, and black pepper to the bowl and process until the mixture resembles mashed potatoes. Taste and add more of anything to get a seasoning level and consistency that matches your tastes.
- Serve the mashed cauliflower with the braised short ribs and enjoy!
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week