Nightshade-free Pizza (from Make It Paleo 2)
This fabulous nightshade-free pizza from Make It Paleo 2 is super tasty, and perfect for a relaxed and indulgent evening at home. The crust is also nut-free, and can be made dairy-free by omitting any cheese topping... so it's flexible enough for people with certain dietary restrictions too. Everyone should be lucky enough to enjoy pizza, right? Find this recipe, and many others like it in our new cookbook, Make It Paleo 2, available in stores and online!
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Nut-free Pesto (from Make It Paleo 2) (click for recipe), (full recipe amount)
- 2 1/2 cup 2 1/2 cup 2 1/2 cup Tapioca Starch, divided, (292 grams)
- 1/3 cup 1/3 cup 1/3 cup Coconut Flour, (42 grams)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Baking Powder, (There's a recipe for making your own in Make It Paleo 2!)
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Ground Fresh Black Peppercorns
- 4 4 4 Eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Water, filtered
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 2 2 Crimini Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Arugula
- 3 pieces 3 pieces 3 pieces Prosciutto, torn apart
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 Red Onion, sliced very thinly
- 8 oz 8 oz 8 oz Buffalo Mozzerella, (any sort of fresh mozzarella, or OMIT for dairy-free)
- Naked Pizza Crust (Cappello's), (Alternative Option) Buy your Pizza Crust from our friends at Cappello's
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Prepare the pesto and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, place 2 cups of the tapioca starch, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. Stir the dry ingredients with a spoon until they are evenly combined.
- Create a small hole in the center of the flour mixture and pour the eggs into the hole. Pour in the water and slowly blend the eggs and water into the flour mixture. Add the melted coconut oil and blend again until the mixture starts to come together and resemble a dough.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of tapioca starch and, using your hands, knead the starch into the dough. This will create the real dough texture you are looking for. Form the dough into a ball and place it on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Carefully form the dough into a pizza crust by pressing outward in a circle with your hands. Massaging a bit of coconut oil into your hands will help you keep a nice, smooth surface on the dough. Keep working with it until you have the shape you want; it should be about 3/8 inch thick, with slightly thicker edges.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes, until it is cooked through. Remove from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 450°F.
- Cover the crust with a thin layer of the pesto and top with the mushrooms, baby arugula, prosciutto, onion, and buffalo mozzarella, if desired. Bake the pizza for 10 minutes, or 15 minutes if you added mozzarella.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week