Kale and Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
I am not going to lie. The first time I heard of “massaged” kale salads I laughed. I just kept thinking, “Man! I know people are all about kale these days but massaging them seems a little excessive!” So for a period of time I refused to do it. Well I recently got over my aversion to massage the kale and gave it a try. The verdict: It is a serious game-changer and I should have tried this a long time ago. I just may need to come up with a different name for it because I really can’t take myself seriously when I say it. Today I was telling a co-worker about it and couldn’t even get it all out without laughing. But in all seriousness, it really made a huge difference in eating raw kale. Instead of having a tough piece of green that ends up ticking or irritating your throat as it goes down, you get a tender and delicious flavor. This salad is really super easy and full of super healthy seasonal produce. You can easily switch out different vegetables and add your favorite protein. So go out on out, buy some kale and massage it. You won’t regret it.
- 4 cup 4 cup 4 cup Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Salt and Pepper, for the squash
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Oregano, dried, for the dressing
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Garlic Powder, for the squash
- 6 Tbsp 6 Tbsp 6 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin, divided (2 TBSP for the squash, 1/4 cup for the dressing)
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Lemon Juice, for the dressing
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Lemon zest, for the dressing
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, for the dressing
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Garlic, chopped and for the dressing
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Rosemary, fresh, for the dressing
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Sea Salt, for the dressing
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Black Pepper, for the dressing
- 4 cup 4 cup 4 cup Kale, chopped and stems removed
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Red Cabbage, chopped
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Pecans, chopped
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Goat Cheese, optional
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 400. Chop the butternut squash in to bite-size chunks and toss with seasonings and olive oil.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 30-35 minutes or until squash is soft and slightly caramelized.
- Put all of the dressing ingredients in a jar and whisk thoroughly or put a lid on it and shake.
- Place the chopped kale in a large bowl and drizzle about a tablespoon or two of dressing in to the bowl. Use your hands to mix and kneed in the dressing with the greens. "Massage" the leaves until tender.
- Toss the rest of the ingredients and roasted squash in the bowl and drizzle more dressing if you desire.
This can serve two as an entree dish or four as a side dish to compliment and entree.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free Egg Free Nightshade Free Pescetarian Salads Shellfish Free Sugar Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.