Eggplant Hole in the Head
One of our favorite breakfasts growing up was the classic hole in the head with a slice of bread. For this recipe we used grilled eggplant in place of the bread. This has quickly become one of our favorite breakfasts.
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Eggplant
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Butter, Salted
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Eggs, Pastured
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Salt
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Rinse the eggplant, then cut into 1-inch-thick slices from end to end.
- Brush eggplant slices with olive oil, sprinkle with salt.
- Grill eggplant for approximately 3–4 minutes per side.
- Cut a hole in the center of each piece of eggplant using a small circular cookie cutter.
- Sauté eggplant in frying pan over medium heat with pasture butter.
- Crack egg into center of eggplant slice.
- Allow egg to cook for 3–4 minutes, then flip carefully.
- Cook for an additional 2–3 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with sliced green onion as a garnish.
The thickest part of the eggplant will yield the best slices for this recipe. Feel free to save any additional eggplant for another recipe. Alternatively, you can grill the entire eggplant, and enjoy the remaining slices without the egg-filled center. For those without a grill, you can also broil the eggplant.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeBreakfast Coconut Free FODMAP Free GAPS Nut Free Pescetarian Shellfish Free Sugar Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
We came home and made this last weekend for brunch after a morning trip to the farmers market! So yummy! We were so impressed! I posted a pic of my beautiful plate on Facebook and told everyone where I got the recipe!
I had this for breakfast yesterday and it was delicious. I’ll be having this regularly from now on. So easy and so satisfying.
I thought this was fabulous. I would add a liberal sprinkle of parmgiano reggiano, or for added spice maybe some pepperjack.
A good dollop of a really good goat cheese would be heaven.