Deep Dish Dark Chocolate Cake with Almond Butter Swirl
- .375 cup .375 cup .375 cup Coconut Oil, Organic, or butter (1/4 cup + 2 tbsp)
- .75 cup .75 cup .75 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips, divided (1/2 cup for cake, 1/4 cup for swirl)
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Eggs
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Applesauce, unsweetened
- .75 cup .75 cup .75 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Cocoa Powder, Organic, special dark
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Baking Soda
- 2.33 Tbsp 2.33 Tbsp 2.33 Tbsp Coconut Sugar, divided (2 Tbsp for cake, 1 tsp for swirl)
- 2 pinch 2 pinch 2 pinch Salt, divided (1 pinch for cake, 1 pinch for swirl)
- .25 cup .25 cup .25 cup Almond Butter, creamy (for swirl)
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a 6" springform pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the chocolate chips and butter/coconut oil together by microwaving on high for about 60 seconds until nearly melted, and stirring until completely smooth.
- Stir in the rest of the wet ingredients (eggs, vanilla, applesauce).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (almond meal, cocoa powder, baking soda, sweetener, and salt) and then stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth into an even layer.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the swirl by stirring together the almond butter and granulated sweetener. Distribute spoonfuls of the almond butter across the cake (or pour into a zip top bag, seal it, snip off the corner, and use it to pipe thick lines of almond butter across the cake), then gently drag a butter knife or toothpick through to create the swirl pattern.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, before removing from the pan and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips and, while still warm, drizzle over the top of the cake. Allow to set before serving.
Serve immediately, or store the leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Sweetener note: I used semi-sweet chocolate chips when creating this recipe, and I like super-dark chocolate flavor, so I only needed 2 Tablespoons of sweetener. Depending on your chocolate, your cocoa powder, and your sweet tooth, you may prefer a few more Tablespoons of granulated sweetener. Taste the batter and adjust the amount of sweetener to your preference.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeNightshade Free Other Pescetarian Shellfish Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.