Chicken with Green Olives and Capers
The lemon zest and herbs in this chicken with green olives and capers add a fresh bright flavor and bring memories of spring and summer dinners on the patio. It is filled with colors, aromas, and flavors of the Mediterranean and, specifically, Southern Italian and Greek summer.
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Chicken Breast, skinless fillets
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves 3 cloves 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 6 Tbsp 6 Tbsp 6 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin, divided
- 12 whole 12 whole 12 whole Olives, (green olives) pitted and sliced or halved
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Wine, White, For Paleo / Whole30, replace with chicken broth
- 0.75 cup 0.75 cup 0.75 cup Chicken Broth (Organic, Free Range, Low Sodium)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Thyme, fresh, leaves
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Sage, fresh leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Salt and Pepper
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Drain the olives and the capers and place each of them in a small bowl with lukewarm water. Let them soak while preparing the chicken.
- If using chicken breast filet, slice them in half horizontally to create two cutlets.
- Sprinkle the chicken with pepper and a pinch of salt. Be very conservative with the use of salt at this stage, as the capers and the olive will release additional salt in the sauce.
- In a heavy bottom skillet, heat 4 tbsp olive oil over medium-high. Add the chicken and sauté until browned on all sides, about 5-8 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and cover to keep it warm.
- And add the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil to the skillet. Add the onion and sauté until the onion is softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Increase the heat to high, add the wine and deglaze the pan. Cook on high for 2 minutes, until half of the liquid, is evaporated.
- Return the chicken, and any juices, to the pan and add the broth. Sprinkle with the lemon zest, sage, and thyme. Drizzle with the lemon juice.
- Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Drain the olives and the capers and dry them using kitchen paper towels.
- Add the olives and the capers, and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free Dairy Free Egg Free GAPS Nightshade Free Nut Free Poultry Shellfish Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.