Chicken Pot Pie
- 1.5 cup 1.5 cup 1.5 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Salt, to taste, omit if your stock is already well-salted
- 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp Butter, Unsalted, (Or shortening)
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Almond Milk, made into dairy-free buttermilk (see note)
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil, Organic
- 1.5 lb 1.5 lb 1.5 lb Chicken Breast, or thigh meat, per your taste
- 1.5 cup 1.5 cup 1.5 cup Onion, sweet variety, chopped
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Snap Peas, (shelled)
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Red Bell Pepper, seeded
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Baby Carrots, chopped
- 1.5 cup 1.5 cup 1.5 cup Celery, chopped
- 1.5 cup 1.5 cup 1.5 cup Chicken Stock, free range, organic
- .75 Tbsp .75 Tbsp .75 Tbsp Herbs de Provence
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Garlic Powder
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Black Pepper
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Coconut Milk, (or more, optional, see note)Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- n the bowl of a food processor, combine the almond flour, coconut flour and salt with a few pulses. Then cut in the cold vegan butter by pulsing until it is mostly incorporated and only pea-sized pieces are left. Then, with the processor going, add the buttermilk in a thin stream until it comes together in a ball that is not too sticky. You may not need the entire 1/2 cup (I only used 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons).
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface or piece of wax paper and roll out with a floured rolling pin (or cover another sheet of wax paper) into an 11" circle. Wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator while you make the filling.
- In a large, deep pan over medium high heat, melt the butter or oil and add the coconut flour and stir until the butter or oil is absorbed. It will be crumbly and dry. Let it toast for a minute or two until the color deepens slightly.
- Add the vegetables and toss to combine and coat them with the coconut flour. Then add the chicken stock, herbs and spices. Cover and let it cook down until the vegetables are tender. Turn off the heat, add the chicken and toss to combine.
- Transfer the filling into a 9" pie plate. It will seem like a lot but pack it in tight so it all fits. Cover the pie plate with the dough and seal around the edge of the pie plate (crimp or discard the excess). Carefully slice 4-6 vent cuts into the top of the crust, and brush the top with egg wash (1 beaten egg + 2 Tablespoons milk of choice) or oil.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until top is golden and filling is bubbly.
(1) You can do a lot of this in advance, like preparing teh filling and making and dough for the crust. Store it all in the fridge and let the filling come to room temperature before rolling out the dough, topping it and baking. (2) If you want more gravy in the filling, add 1/2 cup of almond or coconut milk when you add the chicken at the end. (3) If you would like to make this vegan, replace the chicken with one can of chickpeas (rinsed and drained) and brush or spray the top with oil, instead of using the egg wash, before baking. (4) To make vegan buttermilk, gently stir 1 teaspoon of lemon juice into 1/2 cup almond milk and set aside for about 5 minutes to curdle slightly. (5) Yield 1 x 9" pot pie
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week