Chai-Spiced Apple Rosettes
Red apple slices are wrapped in soft, browned-butter dough, filled with fall spices and baked for a tasty and impressive autumn dessert! They may look fancy, but they aren't that difficult to make. Adding just a touch of cloves to Primal Palate's Apple Pie Spice gives these pastries a chai-like flavor!
- 0.75 cup 0.75 cup 0.75 cup Arrowroot Flour, + 1 Tbs more, if needed
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Brown Butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Water, warm
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Eggs, Pastured, medium-sized
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Primal Palate Apple Pie Spice, Primal Palate's blend
- 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp Cloves, ground
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Maple Sugar
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Apple, organic, large, red
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Grain-free Powdered Sugar (click for recipe), optional, for serving
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- To make the dough, in a bowl combine the arrowroot powder, coconut flour, and salt. To this mixture, add in the browned butter, warm water, and egg. Whisk to combine and then knead until a smooth ball is formed. Add more arrowroot powder, a spoonful at a time if the dough is too loose and sticky.
- In a small bowl, combine the apple pie spice, cloves, and maple sugar; set aside. Also at this time, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and grease 5 cups of standard size muffin pan.
- Fill a medium-sized pot with water and bring to a simmer. Cut the apple in half from top to bottom through the middle. Place the cut sides down and starting at the top of the apple, cut into very thin slices, as thin as you can. You will need 35-40 slices. Simmer the apple slices in the water for 2 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon onto a towel and pat dry.
- Roll out the dough into a 10X10 square, and using a knife, cut off any rounded areas and square up the dough. Cut the square into five equal-sized strips (10 inches long and 2 inches wide).
- On the first strip of dough, line up the apple slices by placing the flat, bottom side of the slices in about the center of the dough strip, and so that the rounded side of the apple slices are sticking out past the edge of the dough. Start at one side and overlap each apple slice with the next apple slice by about half. One dough strip should take 6-8 apple slices.
- Sprinkle 1/5 of the sugar and spice mixture over the bottom of the apple slices. Use a butter knife to fold the bottom of the dough strip over the apple slices (it's okay if it breaks, in fact- it's easier if it does). Now, starting at one end, roll the folded dough and apple strip into a coil. Place dough-side down into the muffin pan cup. Repeat with the remaining dough and apple slices.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until apples are just starting to brown on top. For serving, sprinkle with grain-free powdered sugar, if desired.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeNightshade Free Nut Free Other Pescetarian Shellfish Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.