Caramel Swirl Cake Squares
Addictive, flavorful, real ingredient caramel swirled chocolate squares.
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Cassava Flour, or Almond Flour
- .3 cup .3 cup .3 cup Cocoa Powder, Organic
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Carob Powder
- 3 whole 3 whole 3 whole Eggs, whisked
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Butter, Unsalted
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Coconut Milk
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Honey, Raw, or Coconut Sugar
- .25 cup .25 cup .25 cup Water
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Tapioca Starch
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease 8x8 bakeware.
- Combine caramel ingredients (1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cut coconut milk, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 tsp vanilla & dash of salt) in a small or medium saucepan on the stove on med-low. Whisk well to combine.
- Bring the caramel to a boil, reduce temperature and allow to simmer and reduce for 15-20 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- While your caramel is reducing, in a large bowl add in all dry batter ingredients (cassava flour, cocoa powder, 1/2 cup coconut sugar, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp baking powder) and mix.
- In a separate small bowl, combine all wet batter ingredients (3 eggs, 2 tbs coconut milk, 1/2 cup butter).
- Form a divit in the middle of the dry ingredients. Carefully pour wet ingredients into the hole then slowly stir them in. Combine until clump free.
- Pour cake square mix into the bakeware and spread evenly with a spatula.
- When caramel is done simmering, remove from heat and whisk in 1 tsp tapioca starch. Allow to rest for 3-4 minutes while the caramel thickens.
- Either (a) use a spoon to drizzle caramel in 4 straight lines across the cake squares, then use a knife to briefly swirl it in to the batter or (b) place the cake squares in the oven to bake and drizzle warm caramel over top before serving.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let rest and cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting to serve. Top with additional warm caramel sauce if desired.
Egg-free/Vegan/AIP Friendly variation available on PersonallyPaleo.com Store any leftover caramel sauce (there will be some!) airtight in the fridge. Or in your mouth, transported by spoon.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeNightshade Free Nut Free Other Pescetarian Shellfish Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.