Caramel Swirl Cake Squares
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Cassava Flour, or Almond Flour
- .3 cup .3 cup .3 cup Organic Cocoa Powder
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Carob Powder
- 3 whole 3 whole 3 whole Eggs, whisked
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Unsalted Butter
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Coconut Milk
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Raw Honey, or Coconut Sugar
- .25 cup .25 cup .25 cup Water
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Tapioca Starch
- Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease 8x8 bakeware.
- Combine caramel ingredients (1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cut coconut milk, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 tsp vanilla & dash of salt) in a small or medium saucepan on the stove on med-low. Whisk well to combine.
- Bring the caramel to a boil, reduce temperature and allow to simmer and reduce for 15-20 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- While your caramel is reducing, in a large bowl add in all dry batter ingredients (cassava flour, cocoa powder, 1/2 cup coconut sugar, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp baking powder) and mix.
- In a separate small bowl, combine all wet batter ingredients (3 eggs, 2 tbs coconut milk, 1/2 cup butter).
- Form a divit in the middle of the dry ingredients. Carefully pour wet ingredients into the hole then slowly stir them in. Combine until clump free.
- Pour cake square mix into the bakeware and spread evenly with a spatula.
- When caramel is done simmering, remove from heat and whisk in 1 tsp tapioca starch. Allow to rest for 3-4 minutes while the caramel thickens.
- Either (a) use a spoon to drizzle caramel in 4 straight lines across the cake squares, then use a knife to briefly swirl it in to the batter or (b) place the cake squares in the oven to bake and drizzle warm caramel over top before serving.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let rest and cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting to serve. Top with additional warm caramel sauce if desired.
Egg-free/Vegan/AIP Friendly variation available on PersonallyPaleo.com Store any leftover caramel sauce (there will be some!) airtight in the fridge. Or in your mouth, transported by spoon.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week