- 4 pieces 4 pieces 4 pieces Bacon, chopped then cooked
- 15 oz 15 oz 15 oz Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, no salt added
- 32 oz 32 oz 32 oz Oxtail, 4 pieces at 8 oz. each
- 1 1 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat a cast iron braising dish over medium heat on the stove top.
- Add chopped bacon to the braising dish and cook until crispy.
- Remove bacon from the dish, and set aside in a bowl.
- Add chopped onion to the braising dish and saute in the bacon grease until slightly translucent.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of rendered bacon grease (or coconut oil if you do not have extra bacon grease on hand) overmedium-high heat.
- Sprinkle oxtails generously with smoked paprika, salt, and pepper on all sides.
- Place oxtail in the cast iron skillet, and cook until browned on all sides (time will vary).
- Once browned on all sides, place oxtail over top the sauteed onions in the braising dish.
- Pour any remaining juices from the cast iron skillet over the oxtails and onion.
- Pour the can of fire roasted tomatoes over the oxtail and onion.
- Top with the chopped bacon, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover dish with a lid, and place in the oven for 2 - 2.5 hours
- Remove from oven, and serve.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free Dairy Free Egg Free Meat Nut Free Shellfish Free Specific Carbohydrate Diet Sugar Free Whole30
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
Damn. I lost my list of questions during the whole “register for a password” process. There are better ways to handle user comments on wordpress, but this isn’t one of them. Plus your site takes AGES to load!
Thanks for the feedback (although this isn’t the best place to give it – truthfully!) 🙂
We’re always open to suggestions of how to improve the site. If you could send us a link to a better comment plugin (or WordPress site you believe handle’s comments better), please send it our way. This is a new website and we’re always looking for ways to improve it.
Delicious!!! Made this for my husband for the second time last weekend, along with collard greens and sweet potatoes. He devoured it.