Braised Beef Shanks
- 4 4 4 Beef Shank
- 1 1/2 Tbsp 1 1/2 Tbsp 1 1/2 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1 head 1 head 1 head Garlic, half the cloves smashed and chopped, the other half sliced in half
- 1 sprig 1 sprig 1 sprig fresh Thyme
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Salt, to taste (and black pepper, if not following AIP)
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Water
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to bake at 350.
- Rinse shanks under cold water and pat dry.
- Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil in a cast iron skillet on medium high heat.
- Sear shanks in coconut oil 2-3 minutes per side, adding a bit more coconut oil to the skillet as needed for each additional shank.
- Place seared shanks in pyrex baking dish.
- Saute the smashed/chopped garlic,and thyme leaves in the skillet for about 1 minute.
- Add broth/water to skillet and stir making sure to scrape up any of the brown bits from the shanks on the bottom.
- Bring to a boil until liquid starts to reduce slightly.
- Place remaining garlic cloves and additional thyme springs in pan withs hanks.
- Pour broth over shanks.
- Cover with parchment paper and then aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 for 2 hours.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week