Braised Beef Shanks
By first searing the beef shanks then braising them for an additional two hours, this dish finishes with an excellent texture and flavor. Try pairing it with mashed cauliflower or sweet potatoes.
- 4 4 4 Beef Shank
- 1.5 Tbsp 1.5 Tbsp 1.5 Tbsp Coconut Oil, Organic, divided
- 1 head 1 head 1 head Garlic, half the cloves smashed and chopped, the other half sliced in half to stud, divided
- 1 sprig 1 sprig 1 sprig Thyme, fresh
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Bone Broth, Beef
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the beef shanks under cold water, and pat them dry.
- Sprinkle the beef shanks with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Sear the beef shanks in the coconut oil for 2-3 minutes per side, adding a bit more coconut oil to the skillet as needed for each additional shank.
- Place the seared shanks in a glass baking dish, and set aside.
- Sauté the smashed/chopped garlic and thyme leaves in the skillet for about 1 minute.
- Add the broth and 1/2 cup of water to the skillet, and stir, making sure to scrape any of the brown bits from the shanks on the bottom.
- Bring the liquid to a boil until it starts to reduce slightly.
- Place the remaining garlic cloves and additional thyme springs in the pan with the beef shanks.
- Pour the broth over the beef shanks.
- Cover the meat with parchment paper and then aluminum foil.
- Bake for 2 hours.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeDairy Free Egg Free GAPS Meat Nightshade Free Nut Free Shellfish Free Sugar Free Whole30
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.