Baked Spanish Omelette (Spanish Tortilla)
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 2 lb 2 lb 2 lb Potatoes, White, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Vidalia Onion, peeled and sliced
- 8 whole 8 whole 8 whole Eggs
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Salt
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9.5" pie plate and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil has heated, add the potatoes and onions and cook, stirring gently, until the potatoes are tender and the onions are translucent.
- Transfer the potatoes and onions mixture into the prepared pie plate and distribute the mixture into an even layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until beaten, then whisk in the salt and pepper.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the pie plate to cover the potatoes and onions.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan until the tortilla starts to pull away from the sites of the pan.
- Slice and serve while still warm. See note for further serving suggestions.
Your onion should be on the smaller side. Eyeball it; if you think it yields too many slices, just don't use the whole thing. I used about 3/4 cup (not packed) thin slices, but you should adjust to your taste. You can serve this as an entree or an appetizer or brunch item. To serve a crowd: place an upside down dinner plate over the pie plate and quickly flip the pie plate (holding the dinner plate firmly against the rim) to turn the tortilla out onto the plate. Cut into 8-12 thin slices (do not remove any slices), top with a generous handful of fresh herbs, and place in the center of the table for diners to help themselves. Note that a traditional Spanish tortilla is made in a pan on the stovetop, but this version is baked in the oven - more like an Italian frittata - because the trade off for authenticity is an easier and more fool-proof recipe.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeBreakfast Coconut Free Dairy Free Nut Free Pescetarian Shellfish Free Sugar Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.