Autoimmune Paleo BBQ Sauce
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice, fresh squeezed + 1 tsp for other step
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, (or red wine vinegar)
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Maple Syrup, Pure
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Bacon Grease
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Ginger, ground, dried, powder
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Carrots, diced
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Onion, diced
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Strawberries, fresh, chopped
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Salt, (smoked salt)
- In a saucepan, add maple syrup, lemon juice, vinegar, ginger, onions, carrots, strawberries and bacon fat. Bring to boil, stir and lower to a simmer. Add smoked salt, stir until it has dissolved and taste the mixture for salt. You may need to add more. The amount of smoked salt you will add will be very organic and intuitive; add more if you like a lot of smoke flavor. I added three small pinches of my smoked salt.
- Simmer on low for about 20 minutes or until the onions and carrots are tender.
- Transfer to blender and (using a towel to cover the top of the blender lid so you don't burn yourself in case any flows over) blend on high until completely smooth, scraping down sides once or twice, about 2 minutes. Pour back into saucepan and bring to low simmer and cook for about 10 min. more. Will keep in fridge for up to 5 days. Freeze if you don't think you will use it all.
I buy smoked salt at specialty stores like Sur La Table and online at Amazon. I really like the Danish Smoked Salt from http://www.spiceace.com (the one I used in this recipe) but Alderwood Smoked Salt and Maldon Smoked Salt work well. The two KEY ingredients in this dish are the smoked salt and bacon fat, so consider investing in smoked salt. It is great on steak, roasted vegetables etc.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week