Attukal Paya (Lamb’s Feet Soup)
- 1.5 lb 1.5 lb 1.5 lb Lamb Feet
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Onion
- 14.5 oz 14.5 oz 14.5 oz Tomato, 1 can, whole peeled
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Coriander, ground, seeds or ground
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Peppercorns, black and white, black
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 1 1 Ginger Root, 1 inch piece
- 3 clove 3 clove 3 clove Garlic
- 1 1 1 Bay Leaf, dried
- 4 cup 4 cup 4 cup Water
- 1/2 bunch 1/2 bunch 1/2 bunch Cilantro, chopped, for serving
- for servingfor serving
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Broil the feet. Place the feet on a baking sheet and broil for 10 minutes per side.
- While the feet are broiling, combine all of the other ingredients (minus the water) in a food processor (I used our handy Ninja) and process until smooth.
- Put the processed ingredients into a dutch oven or crock pot, add the broiled feet, and stir in four cups of water. Add the bay leaf and heat everything on med/low heat, uncovered.
- Once the soup starts to simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 10 hours.
- The next morning, Remove and discard the bay leaf and feet (don’t forget to dish out any small bones that are hiding at the bottom of the soup) and add salt to taste – I ended up using 1 tsp of salt to get the taste right.
I should note that in many authentic recipes they eat the feet. I wasn’t a fan of the consistency, since it had cooked for over 10 hours and was very mushy; this dish is often cooked with a pressure cooker, which likely breaks down the bones’ nutrients but leaves the meat still firm, which would probably be much more palatable. Either way, don’t let the fact that this is a liquid soup deter you – it is still a very nutrient dense and rewarding dish, and a perfect way to start out a day.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free Dairy Free Egg Free GAPS Nut Free Shellfish Free Soups Sugar Free Whole30
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.