Ancho Chile Mexican Meatballs
This meatball recipe was originally created out of mistake. I didn’t have a lot of food in the house but I had dried chiles so I decided to make a sauce and then all I had was ground beef for protein. Logically the thing to do was to make meatballs and I had some leftover cilantro cauliflower rice to go with it. Now this is one of my favorite recipes and the smoked jalapeno kraut on top complements the flavors perfectly.
- 3 whole 3 whole 3 whole Ancho Chilies, Dried, for the sauce
- 6 oz 6 oz 6 oz Tomato Paste, for the sauce
- 1.5 cup 1.5 cup 1.5 cup Bone Broth, Beef, for the sauce
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, for the sauce
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Lime Juice, for the sauce
- 1.25 cup 1.25 cup 1.25 cup Cilantro, divided (1 cup for the sauce, .25 for the meatballs)
- 4 cloves 4 cloves 4 cloves Garlic, for the sauce
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Cumin, for the sauce
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Chili Powder, for the sauce
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Oregano, dried, for the sauce
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Cocoa Powder, Organic, for the sauce
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Black Pepper, for the sauce
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Sea Salt, for the sauce
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb Ground Beef
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Onion, minced
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Ancho Chili (Poblano Pepper), Sauce
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 350
- Stem and deseed the dried ancho chiles and place in a bowl of hot water to soak for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the water and place the soaked chiles in a blender with all of the other sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth
- Combine all the meatballs ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of meat and roll in to a ball. Repeat until mixture is gone.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a cast iron or oven proof pan on medium high heat.
- Place the meatballs in the pan and let sear for about one minute.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs and place the pan in the oven.
- Let cook for 25-30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve over cauliflowr rice and top with jalapeno saurkraut if desired!
Optional Assembly Cilantro Shredded red cabbage (optional) Smoked Jalapeno Farmhouse Kraut Cauliflower Rice You can easily double the meatballs to serve more people.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free Dairy Free Egg Free Meat Nut Free Shellfish Free Sugar Free Whole30
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.