Amazingly Crispy Paleo Fried Chicken
Paleo comfort food at its best! Delicious, crispy, golden brown fried chicken that's grain-free and coconut-free. Done in under an hour!
- 6 pieces 6 pieces 6 pieces Chicken Drumstick, skin on
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Tapioca Starch
- 1.75 tsp 1.75 tsp 1.75 tsp Sea Salt
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Black Pepper
- .25 tsp .25 tsp .25 tsp Sage, dried
- 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp Garlic Powder
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Lard
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Thyme, fresh, (optional)
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Make this recipe into buttermilk fried chicken by marinating the chicken overnight in enough buttermilk to cover the meat before following the rest of the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dry all of the moisture off of the chicken pieces with a few paper towels. Set the chicken aside.
- Add the tapioca starch, sea salt, black pepper, sage, turmeric, and garlic power to a ziplock bag. Seal and shake until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Add 2 pieces of chicken to the flour mixture in the bag. Seal and shake until the chicken is evenly coated. Gently shake the chicken as you remove it from the bag to shake off the excess flour mixture. Repeat with the remaining chicken, two pieces at a time.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the lard over medium-high heat until it spatters when a drop of water is added to the pan. One by one, with tongs, add the pieces of chicken to the hot oil. *Do not crowd the skillet. Do this in batches if you're using larger pieces of chicken.* Fry them in the lard until the breading is crispy and golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken to a wire rack placed on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the chicken until it's done all the way through, about 20-35 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces.
- Sprinkle the chicken with fresh thyme leaves if desired, serve warm, and enjoy!
You can use any kind of chicken pieces for this recipe. And you can use any kind of high smoke point lard, shortening, or oil you prefer for cooking.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free Dairy Free Egg Free Nightshade Free Nut Free Poultry Shellfish Free Sugar Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.