AIP Pumpkin Pie
Delicious pumpkin pie with a flakey and buttery crust that's totally paleo and AIP friendly.
- 1.5 cup 1.5 cup 1.5 cup Tapioca Starch
- .25 cup .25 cup .25 cup Coconut Flour
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Salt, + 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Beef, Great Lakes brand Unflavored Gelatin
- 0.75 cup 0.75 cup 0.75 cup Organic [*Spectrum Brand, sustainably sourced] Palm Oil Shortening, plus 2 Tbs
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 15 oz 15 oz 15 oz Pumpkin Puree, (1 can)
- 13.5 oz 13.5 oz 13.5 oz Coconut Milk, (1 can)
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp ground Ginger
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp ground Cloves
- 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp Mace
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- For the crust, combine flour, 1/2 tsp salt and gelatin in a mixing bowl.
- Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two knives until it is the size of peas.
- Add applesauce, water and vinegar and mix with a spoon until combined.
- Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment.
- To place in pie pan, remove top layer of parchment, place the pan upside down in the center of the dough and then carefully flip the pan over, holding on to the dough.
- Remove the remaining layer of parchment paper and gently press the dough into the pan, repairing any cracks as necessary.
- Trim excess dough from around the pan and shape the edges as desired.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the bottom of the crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes. It will not brown as much as traditional pie crust.
- For the filling, combine all ingredients from pumpkin to mace (plus 1/2 tsp remaining salt) in a medium saucepan.
- Turn heat to medium low and cook until gelatin dissolves completely, stirring constantly, about 5-10 minutes.
- Pour into baked pie crust and refrigerate until set (about 3 hours).
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week