Turkey Meatballs Braised in Tomato Sauce
A flavorful Italian-style meatball that is not at all dried out due to the method of cooking, and a quick tomato sauce to accompany it (and what the meatballs are cooked in). See a short, no-speaking video tutorial on the original blog post.
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Lard
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Yellow Onion, peeled and grated
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 clove 2 clove 2 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 lb 2 lb 2 lb Ground Turkey, ground thighs if possible
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Almond Meal/Flour
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Eggs
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Sage, chopped
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Black Pepper
- 56 oz 56 oz 56 oz Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp dried Basil
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the lard. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, dried oregano, 1 tsp salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from pot and put into a large bowl.
- Add the ground turkey thighs, almond flour, eggs, sage, the remaining salt and approximately 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper to the bowl and mix with your hands. Form the mixture into meatballs, about the size of golf balls.
- In the same pot you cooked the onion/carrot mixture in, add the tomatoes, garlic, dried basil, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix and cook over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve over sweet potato noodles, spaghetti squash, or mashed cauliflower.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week