If you aren't accustomed to cooking with Tamarind, this recipe is a nice introduction! With it's sweet, spicy, and tangy flavor, this is a really interesting chicken dish that will change things up from your usual dinner routine. Pair it with our Curry Rice recipe, and a generous bit of cilantro to garnish.
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Tamarind Paste, (see notes for making this from scratch)
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Coconut Aminos
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2.5 Tbsp 2.5 Tbsp 2.5 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Onion, diced
- 2 cloves 2 cloves 2 cloves Garlic, pressed
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Lime, zest
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Chicken Leg Quarter
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Tin Star Cultured Ghee
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Cilantro, garnish, optional
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- If you are making the tamarind cooking paste from scratch, do that first (See recipe notes for how to do that).
- Stir together all the marinade ingredients (everything except the chicken, ghee, and cilantro).
- Marinade the chicken with the sauce, refrigerated, for a few hours, ideally overnight (though not necessary).
- Heat your oven to 375 F. Melt the ghee in an oven-safe grill pan over medium high heat. Sear the chicken 4 minutes per side, then place in the hot oven.
- Roast for 30 minutes, until it hits 160F internally.
- Serve with a garnish of fresh cilantro leaves, along with your choice of side (we recommend Curry Rice).
To make Tamarind Cooking Paste from scratch: shell and devein 12-15 tamarind pods. Discard shells and veins. Boil for 10-15 minutes until soft. Using a strainer and a spoon, push the soft tamarind fruit through the strainer. Discard seeds and other tough bits.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeDairy Free Egg Free Nut Free Poultry
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.