Taiwanese Short Rib and Bok Choy Stew
- 2 lb 2 lb 2 lb Beef Short Ribs, Boneless
- 6 clove 6 clove 6 clove Garlic
- 1 pieces 1 pieces 1 pieces Ginger Root, 1-inch section, peeled and sliced
- 1 bunch 1 bunch 1 bunch Green Onion, sliced - white parts and green parts separated
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Roma Tomato, quartered
- 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Anise
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Habanero Peppers, Fresh, sliced in half lengthwise and seeded
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Wine, White, rice wine and sherry also work
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Coconut Aminos
- 12 cup 12 cup 12 cup Chicken Stock, free range, organic
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb Bok Choy, large, sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Bean Sprouts
- 10 whole 10 whole 10 whole White Mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Cilantro, chopped
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- In a large stockpot, cover the short ribs with water and bring to a boil. Immediately drain the water and set the beef aside. This step helps make a clearer broth. Wash the stock pot.
- Add the par-boiled beef and the next 10 ingredients (through the chicken stock) to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 3 hours, or until the beef is tender. Allow the soup to sit, covered for an additional hour.
- Remove the beef with a slotted spoon and set it aside. Pour the stock through a fine sieve into another pot and discard the vegetable solids.
- Return the beef to the stock. Skim any fat from the surface, and return the soup to a boil. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add the bok choy and blanch until bright green and tender, another 2 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve topped with bean sprouts and cilantro.
Adapted from Epicurious, the Kitchn, and Food52
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeDairy Free Egg Free GAPS Meat Nut Free Shellfish Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.