Slow Cooker Chicken Shawarma
Slow cooker chicken shawarma combines the ease of a slow cooker meal with the complex flavor of a slow-roasted middle eastern chicken feast! This is a quick version of the middle eastern favorite: the slow cooker does a lot of the work and it can be prepped ahead of time. Various serving options make this sensational paleo and gluten free dinner recipe adaptable for low carb and Whole30 compliance, too!
- 2 lb 2 lb 2 lb Chicken Breast
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Water, or as much as you need to get your desired consistency
- 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Sumac
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Chili Powder
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Paprika
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Black Pepper
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Cloves, ground
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Tahini
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Garlic, minced
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Place your 2 lbs of chicken in the bowl of your slow cooker, and add 1/2 cup water. Cook on high for 2 hours until the chicken is cooked (juices run clear and the fat has come out of the chicken).
- When chicken is cooked, slice each breast.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the spice mix ingredients. Place aside.
- Preheat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat in a pan large enough to hold all of the chicken in a single layer.
- Add the cooked chicken to your skillet and sprinkle your spice mix evenly over the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to fry until crisp.
- Pour 1 Tbsp more of olive oil on the chicken and flip it, stirring gently to make sure that the chicken gets fully coated with the spice mixture. If chicken is starting to stick to the pan once it has been flipped, add the remaining Tbsp of olive oil and stir gently.
- Take the chicken out of the pan as soon as it is fried the way you want it.
- If serving with the lemon tahini sauce, combine all sauce ingredients (tahini, lemon juice, water, garlic, and salt) in a blender and combine until smooth.
- Serve right away, with lemon tahini sauce, if desired. (See notes for serving suggestions.)
You can make the chicken ahead of time. Don't worry about it being cold; it will be hot when you finish frying it with olive oil and homemade spice mix. Make the chicken the day or a few days before you plan to serve it. Keep it in an airtight container in your fridge until you're ready to eat it, then do the pan frying right before your meal. You can also make the spice mix ahead of time; just store it in an container at room temperature for only up to a week.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free Dairy Free Egg Free GAPS Meat Nut Free Shellfish Free Sugar Free Whole30
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.