Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
A long, long time ago, I used to eat out and get takeaway a few times a week. I did love to cook, but when I was getting home late from work, it was easy just to buy dinner. When we would eat at an Indian restaurant (or get Indian takeaway), I would order one of two dishes - Butter Chicken or Chicken Tikka Masala. If I ever made one of these dishes at home, it would usually be from a jar. These days I like to know what goes in to the meals that my family eats - and this means fresh, whole foods and a variety of herbs and spices - no numbers, and no crap. I have made Butter Chicken several times before from scratch, but never using a slow cooker. Seriously, why did I not have one of these babies before!! Cooking is so easy when you use a slow cooker (easy enough that you don't need to settle for takeaway, so long as you plan a little bit ahead) and the results are fantastic. If you are cooking meat, it is always really tender or falling off the bone, depending on what cut of meat you are cooking. This version of Butter Chicken is delicious, healthy and so easy to prepare. I would have to say it is in my top four slow-cooker meals, along with my Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken, Slow Cooker Lamb Shanks and Slow Cooker Osso Bucco.
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil, Organic
- 3 - 4 whole 3 - 4 whole 3 - 4 whole Garlic, crushed
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Onion, diced
- 1.75 cup 1.75 cup 1.75 cup Coconut Milk
- .75 cup .75 cup .75 cup Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Flour
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Ginger, ground
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Chili Powder, Add more if you like it hotter
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Sea Salt
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Black Pepper
- 2.2 lb 2.2 lb 2.2 lb Chicken Breast, Skinless
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat
- Add onion and garlic, cook, stirring frequently for approximately 3 minutes or until the onions have become translucent.
- Add coconut milk, tomato paste, tapioca flour, garam masala, curry powder, ginger powder, chili powder and ginger powder, stirring until well combined and the sauce has started to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker, then add the sauce and mix through the chicken
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 hours.Cover and cook on low heat for 5 hours.
- Serve with coriander and your favourite side
It is nice served with some fresh coriander and your favourite side (cauliflower rice etc)
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeDairy Free Egg Free Nut Free Poultry Shellfish Free Sugar Free Whole30
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are editing problems with this recipe. There is no mention of when to add the ARROWROOT powder but in Step 3 we are to add the TAPIOCA powder. Also, is the chicken to be cut up or placed into the cooker whole? Ginger powder is added twice in the instructions. I do appreciate that the ingredients are listed in the order they are to be added in the Process.
Arrowroot and tapioca flour are the same thing.
Thanks for letting me know of the errors.
Here is the recipe from my site
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
Serves 4 – 6
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, diced
1 + 3/4 cups coconut milk
3/4 cup organic tomato paste
2 tablespoons tapioca flour
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (add more if you like it hotter)
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1.25kg skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces (I use free range chicken, Lillydale brand)
Fresh coriander, to serve
Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat
Add onion and garlic, cook, stirring frequently for approximately 3 minutes or until the onions have become translucent.
Add coconut milk, tomato paste, tapioca flour, garam masala, curry powder, chili powder and ginger powder, stirring until well combined and the sauce has started to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
Add chicken to the slow cooker, then add the sauce and mix through the chicken
Cover and cook on low heat for 5 hours.
Serve with the coriander and your favourite side (mine is quinoa).
This recipe looks wonderful. I am going to make it today in a tagine. Slow cookers are not used here in Morocco. Any advice on making this on stovetop is appreciated.
Thanks for this wonderful recipe.