Slow Cooker BBQ Sauce
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Crushed Tomatoes, or tomato puree (puree is preferable)
- 0.75 cup 0.75 cup 0.75 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Molasses
- 1.5 Tbsp 1.5 Tbsp 1.5 Tbsp wheat-free Tamari
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Liquid Smoke, Hickory
- 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Cumin
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Cloves, ground
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Black Pepper
- .25 tsp .25 tsp .25 tsp Sea Salt
- In the bowl of a 4 quart crockpot, stir together the tomato puree, vinegar, molasses, tamari and mustard until combined.
- Whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Cook, uncovered, on high for 3 1/2 - 4 hours until thickened and darkened in color
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
If you don't have or want to use molasses, you can use maple syrup instead. There is one unconventional (at least in my kitchen) ingredient in this sauce, which you can absolutely feel free to skip, and that's the liquid smoke. Liquid smoke is available at major grocery stores near the barbecue sauces and it is exactly what it sounds like: a liquid flavoring agent that lends the deep, smoky flavor to the sauce. However, it does contain a touch of sugar, and "hickory smoke flavor" - which I assume is likely artificial - so I would certainly understand if you weren't comfortable adding that to your otherwise-clean sauce. Personally, I felt that the tiny bit that the recipe calls for was worth the flavor bump it provides. If you opt to leave out the liquid smoke, I highly recommend increasing (probably doubling) the spices, and making sure to use the smokiness paprika and chili powder you can find.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free Dairy Free Egg Free Nut Free Pescetarian Sauces & Dressings Shellfish Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.