Shakshouka (poached egg recipe)
This Moroccan breakfast dish has the WOW factor and is gluten free and dairy free
- 4 pieces 4 pieces 4 pieces Bacon, diced
- 2.5 Tbsp 2.5 Tbsp 2.5 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Eggs
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, medium, sliced into thin strips
- 0.5 whole 0.5 whole 0.5 whole Red Onion, chopped
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Garlic, minced
- 15 oz 15 oz 15 oz Diced Tomatoes
- .125 tsp .125 tsp .125 tsp Chili Powder, PLUS 2 teaspoons Moroccan spice mix
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Parsley, roughly chopped
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Black Pepper
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to a fry pan on medium high heat , add bacon and cook until browned and crispy. Set aside on a plate covered with paper towel to drain the fat.
- Heat another fry pan (large) on medium heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and saute the onion, garlic and capsicum with a sprinkle of sea salt for 3-4 minutes or until the onion and capsicum start to soften.
- Add the bacon, tomatoes, Moroccan spices and chilli flakes, stir and cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make four wells in the mixture with a spoon and crack an egg into each well and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover again and cook on low heat until the egg whites are cooked, but the egg yolks are gooey.
- To serve, sprinkle with some fresh parsley and dukkah (optional)
You can buy Moroccan Spice Mix, however if you wanted to make it the ingredients are 5 teaspoons ground nutmeg 5 teaspoons ground cumin 5 teaspoons ground coriander 2 1/2 teaspoons allspice 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeBreakfast Coconut Free Dairy Free Nut Free Shellfish Free Sugar Free Whole30
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.