Roasted Poblano with Sweet Potato Filling
This recipe is kind of my in between winter and spring recipe. It is a super easy and filling dish. You can either use it as a side or add some protein to it for an entrée. Poblanos are one of my favorite peppers because they usually have a hint of spice without being unbearable. That is why they are perfect for some many different dishes. The sweet potato is not only a great filling but also compliments the spice with some sweetness. I prefer to roast my peppers on the grill. I think that the smoky flavor adds a lot to the dish. If you don’t have a grill you can just roast them in the oven. I find that most of the time they take a couple minutes longer in the oven.
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Ancho Chili (Poblano Pepper), large
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin, for the peppers
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Sea Salt, for the filling
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Black Peppercorns, Ground Fresh, for the filling
- 2 lb 2 lb 2 lb Sweet Potato
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Ghee, for the filing
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Cilantro, for the filling
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Chili Powder, for the filling
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 400. Bake sweet potatoes for 45-50 minutes or until they are soft.
- Preheat grill (or oven) to 450. Rub the peppers with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for approximately three minutes and rotate and roast for another three minutes. Peppers should be slightly charred.
- Remove from heat and let cool for about ten minutes.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and mash them with the other seasonings with a mixer or by hand.
- Take the peppers and carefully cut a slit from the top of the pepper to the bottom but leave the tip uncut. Gently cut out the core and scrape the seeds out.
- Fill the pepper with the sweet potato mixture. Repeat with the rest of the peppers.
- Bake the stuffed peppers at 400 for approximately 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is browned on top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you are roasting the peppers in the oven they may need a few extra minutes.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week