This is an easy recipe for making Latkes, adapted from Ina Garten's classic recipe. We served them with creme fraiche and applesauce, and I loved both, but creme fraiche with chives and flaky salt and fresh black pepper is definitely more my style. If you want to get even fancier, try some smoked salmon on top.
- 1.5 lb 1.5 lb 1.5 lb Potatoes, White, grated
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Onion, grated
- pinch pinch pinch Himalayan Pink Salt
- pinch pinch pinch Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Potato Starch
- 1 1 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Palm Oil Shortening, Organic [*Spectrum Brand, sustainably sourced], for frying
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Ghee, for frying
- Sour Cream , optional condiment
- Applesauce, unsweetened, optional condiment
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Peel the potatoes. Grate the potatoes and onion. Combine and place in a clean kitchen towel, and squeeze out the liquid.
- Place in a mixing bowl and add a pinch of salt and pepper, the potato starch, and a whisked egg. Combine with your hands.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Form mixture into small pancakes and gently place in the hot oil. Fry for 2-4 minutes per side, depending on how hot the oil is.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with sour cream or applesauce.
You can use any oil or fat you'd like, to fry these. Just pick something that's relatively neutral in color and flavor.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free Nut Free Pescetarian Shellfish Free Side Dishes Sugar Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.