Paleo Saffron, Rose Water and Pistachio Ice Cream
A Paleo twist on a classic Persian dessert. Easy to make without needing an ice cream maker, this ice cream is bursting with delicious flavours! Try it next time you're after something a little different!
- 400 ml 400 ml 400 ml Coconut Milk, full-fat.
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Egg Yolk
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Honey, Raw, melted.
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Saffron, for garnish (optional).
- 1 - 2 Tbsp 1 - 2 Tbsp 1 - 2 Tbsp Rose Water
- 4 oz 4 oz 4 oz Pistachios, Roasted and Salted, roughly chopped (use unsalted), plus 4-6 pistachios for garnish (also unsalted)
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- First make the saffron water, you can do this ahead of time.
- Take a pinch of saffron threads (a little goes a long way) and add to a glass jar.
- Pour over 1/4 cup of just boiled water.
- Put the lid on the jar, shake and set aside to cool.
- Create a double boiler using a small-medium sized pot.
- Bring the water in the pot to a boil then turn down to a low simmer.
- Place a heatproof bowl over the pot, making sure the water below doesn't touch the bottom or sides of the bowl.
- Add in the coconut milk and vanilla extract. Stir to mix and heat, but make sure it doesn't boil.
- Keep an eye on the coconut milk and vanilla extract while you do the rest.
- In a mixing bowl add the egg yolks.
- Take 1/4-1/2 cup of the coconut milk mixture and add it to the egg yolks slowly, whisking at the same time.
- Take another 1/4-1/2 cup of the coconut milk mixture and perform the last step again.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the left over coconut milk mixture in the double boiler.
- Using a wooden spoon, continue to mix for about 5 minutes or until a thick custard forms.
- During the step above, if you think the mixture is getting too hot, lift the bowl off the simmering water, mix and return.
- Check the custard by dipping the wooden spoon in the mix and drawing a line down the middle of the mixture.
- If the line stays fairly clear you're good to go, if the mixture starts running back into the line you drew, keep mixing.
- When ready, remove the bowl from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Once it has cooled enough to be able to comfortably touch, stir in the honey, saffron water and rose water.
- Place in a freezer safe container and put in the fridge to cool down.
- Once sufficiently cool place the container in the freezer.
- Stir the mixture using a whisk or spatula every 30 minutes for 2-3 hours until set.
- Remove container from freezer and allow to sit out for 10-15 minutes.
- Once fairly softened stir in the chopped pistachios.
- Pop on the lid and place back into the freezer.
- Remove 10-15 minutes before serving.
- To serve add some whole pistachios and a pinch of saffron threads on top.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeDairy Free Ice Cream Nightshade Free Pescetarian Shellfish Free Specific Carbohydrate Diet
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.