Paleo Beef Shanks aka Ossobuco Della Rosy (My mom’s famous Ossobuco!)
Ossobuco is a delicious way to cook your meat on the bone. It also contains the marrow, full of important nutrients. Try it with just the lightest sprinkle of sea salt.
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Beef Shank
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Celery, sliced
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Carrots, chopped
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Porcini Mushrooms, dried
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Red wine, Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Bone Broth, Beef
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Lard
- 2 pinch 2 pinch 2 pinch Sea Salt, coarse
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Black Peppercorns, Ground Fresh
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Put the dried porcini mushrooms in a small bowl with about 2 cups of hot water ad let soften.
- In a large skillet melt the fat and saute the shanks on a high flame until browned on both sides.
- In the meantime, in a cast iron or heavy pot sweat the onions, carrots and celery with 2 tablespoons of fat, on a low flame.
- When the vegetables are softened add the shanks, raise the flame and add the red wine.
- Now add the porcini, with their soaking water. (You can filter it through a cheesecloth if you fear there might be sand in the mushrooms).
- Add the broth, salt and pepper.
- Now cook on a very low flame for at least two hours, or until the meat is very tender and breaks with a fork.
- Serve immediately with plenty of its own broth and veggies.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week