Mashed Cauliflower Breakfast Bowls
These Mashed Cauliflower Breakfast Bowls are perfect for anyone needing a break from their typical breakfast smoothie or bacon and egg routine. While it’s definitely a healthy AIP and gluten free recipe, it also has tons of flavor. The recipe is low carb, AIP & Whole 30 friendly, dairy free, and high in antioxidants. Regardless of the diet you’re following, this breakfast bowl has you covered.
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Cauliflower
- 1.5 cup 1.5 cup 1.5 cup Baby Bella Mushrooms, or one 6 oz package
- 4 cup 4 cup 4 cup Arugula
- 6 pieces 6 pieces 6 pieces Bacon
- .25 cup .25 cup .25 cup Coconut Milk, you’ll add this 1 Tbsp at a time, and may not use it all
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Unflavored Gelatin, Beef, Great Lakes brand
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Bacon Grease, I suggest reserving grease from cooking the bacon, but you can also use ghee, coconut oil, or avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Sea Salt, or season to taste
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- FOR THE MASHED CAULIFLOWER
- Start by removing the leafy part of the stem, and roughly chop the head of cauliflower. It’s okay to include the rest of the stem since the cauliflower will be steamed and blended.
- Steam chopped cauliflower using your method of choice. I recommend a stovetop method.
- Add steamed cauliflower to a blender or food processor. You can also do this with an immersion blender or by hand, but I find the blender and food processor to be the simplest and tends to yield the best consistency.
- Add nutritional yeast (optional to provide a cheesy flavor), gelatin (to provide a thicker texture), about 1-2 tsp sea salt, and 1 Tbsp coconut milk. You’ll want to start with just 1 Tbsp coconut milk, but you’ll likely need more depending on how much moisture is retained in your cauliflower.
- Blend until smooth. Increase coconut milk by the tablespoon until desired consistency is reached. Be sure to test cauliflower to make sure it’s salted to your liking.
- FOR THE MUSHROOMS
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium low heat.
- Slice mushrooms in half and add to sauté pan. Cook slowly over low heat for the flavors to fully develop.
- When the mushrooms are well cooked, pour in the Coconut Aminos to deglaze the pan and develop a caramelization on the outside of the mushrooms.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with a bit of coarse sea salt while the glaze is still wet.
- FOR THE BACON
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay bacon on a rimmed, parchment lined baking sheet. Cook until crisp, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove bacon from cooking sheet and set aside to cool on a paper towel. This will absorb extra grease. Reserve the grease left on the baking sheet and store in an airtight jar in the fridge to use for cooking.
- Once bacon has cooled, rough chop and store until use.
- Divide ingredients among 2 bowls, and drizzle with olive or avocado oil. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- These ingredients can be prepped the day before and reheated for a quick breakfast bowl, or eaten straight from the fridge.
Omit nutritional yeast if following AIP Swap coconut aminos for bone broth if you’re following the Whole 30
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeAutoimmune Protocol Breakfast Dairy Free Egg Free Nightshade Free Nut Free Shellfish Free Sugar Free Whole30
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.