Maple Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 26 oz 26 oz 26 oz Coconut Milk, (2 cans)
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Maple Sugar, 1/2 cup for the ice cream, 1/2 cup for the maple balsamic glaze
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Tapioca Starch
- 1 1 1 Vanilla Bean Pod
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Water
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- This recipe is from Make It Paleo 2
- To make the caramelized balsamic: Combine 1/2 cup of the maple sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir continuously until the water evaporates to create a thin honey-like consistency; this is caramelizing the maple sugar. Add the balsamic vinegar and lemon juice to the saucepan. Let the sauce reduce for 5 more minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Place the coconut milk, maple sugar, and tapioca starch in a medium- sized saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Slice the vanilla bean down the center and scrape the seeds into the saucepan. Whisk again to incorporate the vanilla bean seeds into the coconut milk mixture. Discard the seed pod.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and whisk the mixture continuously until steam rises and it starts to bubble slightly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to whisk the mixture until it thickens, about 7–10 minutes.
- Pour the thickened mixture into a heatproof glass mixing bowl. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Churn the chilled liquid in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This should take about 20 minutes. Enjoy immediately for a so -serve like texture, or place in the freezer for 2 hours to harden before serving. Serve the ice cream topped with a drizzle of the Caramelized Maple Balsamic, along with a few blackberries, if desired.
You can use 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp of grass-fed gelatin in place of the tapioca starch in this recipe if you cannot have tapioca. If using the gelatin, allow the mixture to scald before adding the gelatin, a little bit at a time, while whisking vigorously.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week