Lemon Sage Roasted Cornish Hens
Lemon Sage Roasted Cornish Hens are browned in a cast iron skillet and then roasted in the oven, garnished simply with lemon halves and fresh herbs.
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Cornish Game Hen
- 3 whole 3 whole 3 whole Lemon
- 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp Olive Oil, Extra Virgin, divided
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Sage, chopped, more for garnish
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Honey, Raw
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Sea Salt
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Black Pepper
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse the hens with cold water and pat them dry. Remove the giblet bundles from inside the hens and use for another purpose or discard. Season them on both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cut the lemons in half and juice them into a small bowl. Save the lemon halves to add to the pan as shown in the photo.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice with the sage, honey, coconut aminos and 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron pan on medium heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with the rest of the olive oil. Seat the hens for 4 minutes on each side. I did this in two batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Transfer the hens and any drippings from the skillet to a large roasting pan. Pour the lemon sage mixture over the hens and place in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the hens rest for 10 minutes. Garnish with sage leaves and serve.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week