Lemon Curd from Make It Paleo 2
- Pour about 2 inches of filtered water into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- While the water is heating, whisk together the egg yolks and maple sugar in a metal bowl. Once combined, whisk in the lemon juice and zest.
- Place the metal bowl over the simmering water and whisk the mixture until it is thick and coats the back of a spoon, monitoring the temperature with a candy thermometer. The temperature of the mixture should reach 175°F.
- Remove the bowl from the heat. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large, wide-mouth mason jar and allow to cool to 145°F. Add the butter a cube at a time and blend until smooth using an immersion blender.
- Once all of the butter is blended in, strain the mixture one more time. Place the curd in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour. It will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week, tightly covered, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
We use this lemon curd between the layers of the Wedding Cake (pg 396 in Make it Paleo 2), and as the filling for Luscious Lemon Cupcakes (pg 378 in Make it Paleo 2). You can also use lemon curd as your filling for miniature tarts, or simply spread it on a slice of grain-free toast. Since this curd keeps for a while, it can be made well in advance of other recipes that you plan to use it with.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week