Lemon Curd from Make It Paleo 2
Lemon curd is one of my favorite sweet treats. That’s why it found its way between the layers of our wedding cake, and it was perfect for a hot August wedding. Lemon curd adds a fresh, sweet, and tangy flavor to baked goods. It’s fantastic piped into cupcakes or simply drizzled over fresh berries.
- 7 7 7 Egg Yolk, from large eggs
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Maple Sugar, granulated, NOT maple syrup
- 1/3 cup 1/3 cup 1/3 cup Lemon Juice, (juice of 2 lemons)
- Lemon zest, from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Butter, Unsalted, cut into cubes
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Pour about 2 inches of filtered water into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- While the water is heating, whisk together the egg yolks and maple sugar in a metal bowl. Once combined, whisk in the lemon juice and zest.
- Place the metal bowl over the simmering water and whisk the mixture until it is thick and coats the back of a spoon, monitoring the temperature with a candy thermometer. The temperature of the mixture should reach 175°F.
- Remove the bowl from the heat. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large, wide-mouth mason jar and allow to cool to 145°F. Add the butter a cube at a time and blend until smooth using an immersion blender.
- Once all of the butter is blended in, strain the mixture one more time. Place the curd in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour. It will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week, tightly covered, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
We use this lemon curd between the layers of the Wedding Cake (pg 396 in Make it Paleo 2), and as the filling for Luscious Lemon Cupcakes (pg 378 in Make it Paleo 2). You can also use lemon curd as your filling for miniature tarts, or simply spread it on a slice of grain-free toast. Since this curd keeps for a while, it can be made well in advance of other recipes that you plan to use it with.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free FODMAP Free Frostings & Toppings Nightshade Free Nut Free Pescetarian Shellfish Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.