Housewife Chicken, Apples and Fall Vegetables
Housewife Chicken, Apples and Fall Vegetables is an autumn version of Julia's Child's "Poulet en Cocotte Bonne Femme."
- 6 whole 6 whole 6 whole Chicken Thigh, skin on
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Sea Salt
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Black Peppercorns, Ground Fresh
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Onion, chopped
- 2 clove 2 clove 2 clove Garlic, chopped
- 3 cup 3 cup 3 cup Sweet Potato, chopped. White potatoes can be substituted for those that eat them.
- 3 cup 3 cup 3 cup Butternut Squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Apple, Fuji, chopped
- 1/2 lb 1/2 lb 1/2 lb White Mushrooms, sliced
- 3 pieces 3 pieces 3 pieces Bacon, cut into .25 inch pieces
- 3 sprig 3 sprig 3 sprig Rosemary, fresh
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Red wine, Cabernet Sauvignon
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat the casserole on the stove top over medium heat.
- Add the bacon, onions, mushrooms, garlic and rosemary sprigs to the pot and cook until onions are translucent and bacon is crisp.
- Remove the bacon and vegetables mixture from the pan and set aside.
- Raise the heat and add two Tablespoons of butter to the pot and the chicken in the butter, ensuring both sides are brown. Saute in two batches to avoid overcrowding.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Pour off excess fat and deglaze the pan with the red wine.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Return the bacon, mushroom and onion mixture to the pot and mix in the potatoes, squash, and apples.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and cover.
- Cook on medium low for 30-45 minutes until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove the lid and brown the chicken under the broiler before serving.
- Garnish with additional rosemary.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week