Homemade Almond Milk
- 1.5 cups 1.5 cups 1.5 cups Almonds, raw
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup raw Cashews, optional, or an additional 1/2 cup of almonds
- 6 - 7 cups 6 - 7 cups 6 - 7 cups Water, filtered, + more for soaking
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Put the almonds and cashews (if using) in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to sit for 30-45 minutes.
- Drain the nuts and discard the soaking water.
- Place the nuts in a high speed blender and pour in 4-5 cups filtered water, so that there is about double the amount water in the blender as nuts, and add the vanilla extract.
- Blend on high speed until the nuts are pureed into tiny pieces - almost looking like almond flour.
- Line a large mixing bowl with a large piece of clean cheesecloth. Wrap it around the sides of the bowl and secure it under the bowl or secure it to the sides of the bowl with a couple of binder clips. Either way, make sure it will stay put.
- Carefully pour the contents of the blender over the cheesecloth, then carefully gather the four corners of the cheesecloth, twist a couple of times and lift to drain.
- Carefully, squeeze the cheesecloth to drain all of the liquid into the bowl. Discard the cheesecloth and its contents (or a quick google search should provide some recipes that use up almond milk pulp).
- Add 1-3 more cups of water to the bowl to thin out the milk to your desired consistency.
- Taste the milk in the bowl and add a sweetener to taste, if desired. If you add sweetener, I\'d also suggest adding a small pinch of salt, but it is up to you.
- Pour the milk into a pitcher and drink immediately or store in the refrigerator.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to around a week, though the sooner this milk is consumed, the better. Before you drink you may need to shake of stir gently, if the milk starts to separate (remember - this version does not contain additives to help it maintain a uniform consistency!). Yield: 6-7 cups almond milk
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week