Grilled Leek and Roasted Bell Pepper Salsa
Summer is all about tomatoes and salsa for me right now. I decided to take some of the ingredients from my CSA basket and use that for the salsa. I thought that the leek would lend a more mellow onion flavor and the roasted bell peppers would complement the sweet tomato flavor.
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Leek, small
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Green Bell Peppers
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Tomato, large
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Jalapeño, chopped
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Lime Juice
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Black Peppercorns, Ground Fresh
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Sea Salt
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat grill to 450.
- Cut the green tops off the leeks and trim off the root on the bottom. Brush the leeks and bell peppers with olive oil.
- Place them on the grill and roast the leeks for about 2-3 minutes a side and then remove from grill.
- Add the peppers and roast about 8-10 minutes and periodically rotate the peppers. You want skins to be charred
- Place peppers in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap to let the peppers sweat for about 8 minutes.
- Combine the tomato, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, lime, pepper and salt in a large bowl and mix.
- Remove the outer layers of the leeks that are too charred. Slide the leek in half and then thinly slice. Add to the salsa.
- Use a paring knife and carefully scrape the charred skin of the bell peppers. Deseed the pepper, chop and add to salsa.
- If you prefer a less chunky salsa you can place it in the blender or food processor and pulse until you reach desired texture.
You can replace the leeks with about 1/3 cup of chopped white onion if you don’t wish to grill the leeks. Cooking time for the leeks will depend on the size. It may need longer if your leek is large. You want it charred on the outside and soft in the inside.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeCoconut Free Dairy Free Egg Free GAPS Nut Free Pescetarian Shellfish Free Side Dishes Sugar Free Whole30
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.