Gluten-free Suppli (fried risotto balls)
Suppli is a classic Roman street food: little fried balls of risotto with "surprises" of mozzarella cheese in the middle. This recipe is my interpretation of Suppli, drawing upon some of my favorite ingredients in the kitchen and remixing the classic recipe. The result is an umami-rich take on this classic Italian snack which would make a delightful appetizer at a dinner party. Instead of mozzarella, we've used Mahón-Menorca semi-cured cheese for the gooey, delicious center!
- 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp Butter, Unsalted, divided
- 1.5 cups 1.5 cups 1.5 cups Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves 2 cloves 2 cloves Garlic, smashed and minced
- 3/4 cup 3/4 cup 3/4 cup Arborio Rice
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup TÖST sparkling beverage, or dry cider, or champagne (low sweetness)
- 2.5 cups 2.5 cups 2.5 cups Chicken Stock, free range, organic
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Nom Nom Paleo Magic Mushroom Powder, (available at Whole Foods, highly recommended), Sub 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Mahón-Menorca Semi-Cured Cheese, finely shredded
- 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Himalayan Pink Salt
- 2/3 cup 2/3 cup 2/3 cup Mahón-Menorca Semi-Cured Cheese (Raw), Cubed
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Cassava Flour
- 2 2 2 Eggs, whisked, with a splash of water
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Gluten-free Panko
- Palm Oil Shortening, Organic [*Spectrum Brand, sustainably sourced], about 6 cups, for frying. Or your choice of neutral, high-heat fat.
- Marinara Sauce, for dipping
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Begin by simmering your chicken stock over low heat.
- In a large sauce pan, heat 2 Tbsp of butter over medium low heat. When melted and beginning to bubble, add the chopped onion. Saute until translucent.
- After 4-5 minutes of gentle sauteeing, add the garlic and continue to saute 1-2 minutes. Add the arborio rice and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the 1/2 cup of TÖST sparkling beverage (or champagne, or dry white wine). Simmer until the liquid has been absorbed. It doesn't hurt to pour yourself a glass of whatever you're adding in this step.
- Stir in the chicken stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, waiting for it to completely absorb before adding more. Stir frequently - rice should be at a low bubble/ simmer. After adding half of the stock, add the Nom Nom Paleo Magic Mushroom Powder and red pepper flakes, and stir in. Add a final 1/2 cup of water and stir until absorbed.
- Remove the risotto from the heat and add 1 cup of shredded Mahon Menorca Semi-cured cheese. Stir into the risotto, along with a squeeze of lemon (about 1.5 teaspoon) and a pinch of salt. Taste, and adjust if needed.
- Spread the risotto mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate until cool to the touch (30-45 minutes).
- While the risotto is cooling, prepare your breading and frying station. Heat the oil over medium heat and monitor with a candy thermometer. Hold the temperature when it reaches 350F. Prepare three bowls: one with cassava flour, one with beaten eggs, and one with gluten-free fine panko.
- When the risotto is cool, begin assembly of the Suppli. Gather a scant 1/4 cup of risotto in the palm of your hand and flatten. Add 2 cubes of the Mahon Menorca Semi-cured raw cheese to the center. Fold up the risotto around it and form into an oblong ball, almost egg-shaped, wrapping it around the cubed cheese. Set aside and repeat until all the risotto is used up. Makes 10-12 Suppli.
- To bread the Suppli, place the ball of risotto into the cassava flour, then the egg wash, and finally the fine panko. Set aside on a plate until all Suppli have been breaded.
- Carefully lower the Suppli into the hot oil on a slotted spoon or wire spider, and fry for 4-6 minutes at 330-350 degrees. The temperature will drop once you add a few, so do not crowd the fryer. Once golden brown, drain on a paper towel lined rack.
- Repeat until all Suppli are fried. Serve warm with your favorite marinara sauce!
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeAppetizers Coconut Free Nut Free Shellfish Free Snacks
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.