Fruity Breakfast Flaugnarde
This dish kind of reminds me of the German Apple (or other fruit) pancakes my mom used to make for dinner growing up.They were lightly sweetened egg based dishes with fruit that were baked in pie pans. Anyway, after stumbling upon a similar recipe and delicious looking photo for a clafouti, I looked up clafouti online and found out that they are traditionally made with cherries. If they aren't made with cherries, then they are called flaugnarde. So that's what this is- a paleo version! My version uses frozen fruit, but you could also substitute fresh fruit. If you aren't familiar with coconut milk, you should be! It's a very healthy source of fats and it is a great substitute for cream or milk if you don't do dairy. You can usually find it in the international foods aisle in cans. Ideally, the only ingredients are coconut and water, but sometimes you can't find canned coconut milk that doesn't have stabilizers/thickeners, too, like guar gum, which is ok if you can't find one that's just coconut and water. It can be used to make dairy free whipped cream by refrigerating the can and removing the thick solids and whipping them with some sweetener. Coconut milk in a carton is not the same at all, and is usually sweetened and has other ingredients. This was a very tasty egg pastry to start the morning off on a slightly sweet note.
- 6 whole 6 whole 6 whole Eggs
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Ghee, or butter
- pinch pinch pinch Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Nutmeg, ground
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Peaches, Use any combination of fruit of choice. I used mango, strawberries, peaches, pineapple, peaches, and grapes
- 1.5 Tbsp 1.5 Tbsp 1.5 Tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar, optional
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease a pie pan using a paper towel and 1 tablespoon or less of butter or ghee.
- Mix all other ingredients except fruit in a large bowl with whisk or electric mixer.
- Carefully pour mixture into prepared pan then top with fruit. If using frozen fruit, add in frozen. It will thaw during the baking process.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until set. It will puff up n the oven then sink once it cools.
- When serving, sprinkle with coconut palm sugar if desired. Refirgerate leftovers and serve warm.
This French dish is usually made with butter so I recommend butter or ghee. I used butter and sprinkled the top with organic cane sugar that I bought to make kombucha since I was completely out of coconut palm sugar. I bet maple syrup would be a tasty topping as well!
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
About This RecipeBreakfast Nightshade Free Nut Free Pescetarian Shellfish Free
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week
There are no reviews yet.