Flaky Flat Cassava Bread
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Cassava Flour
- 0.333 tsp 0.333 tsp 0.333 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Baking Soda
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 6 Tbsp 6 Tbsp 6 Tbsp Palm Oil Shortening, Organic [*Spectrum Brand, sustainably sourced]
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Water
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Avocado Oil, or other high heat cooking fat
- Mix the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Cut in the shortening with a fork
- Stir in the water with the fork, and once it starts to come together, use your hands to gently knead the dough into a smooth and consistent ball.
- Separate the dough into 8 pieces.
- Heat a 15" cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Take one piece at a time and flatten with your hands, patting back and forth until you have a ¼” thick patty.
- Add ¼ cup preferred cooking fat to the pan, and add in 4 patties at a time.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown, crispy and flaking.
- Be sure to add 1/4 cup more fat to the pan after flipping, and swirl the breads around the coat the bottoms with the fat.
- Transfer cooked breads from the pan to a holding plate.
- Repeat steps 7-9 for the remaining 4 patties.
These are best eaten immedately. To reheat, toast up in a pan on your stovetop or in your toaster oven to re-crisp. Delicious topped with ghee, or cinnamon and honey!
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week