Dark Chocolate Gelato with Coffee Affogato
Every great Italian meal requires an indulgent dessert, and this one ties together many Italian flavors in one delicious dish. When Hayley and I visited Italy, we decided to have Gelato everyday (Hey, "when it Rome...") This decadent dessert is best paired with our Chocolate Chip Biscotti (recipe in Gather).
- 16 fl oz 16 fl oz 16 fl oz Coconut Milk, full fat
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 3 3 3 Egg Yolk
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Organic Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup freshly ground Coffee
- 1.5 cups 1.5 cups 1.5 cups Water
- This recipe is from our cookbook: Gather, (find the Chocolate Chip Biscotti recipe in the book!)
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the coconut milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, egg yolks, and cocoa powder. Bring the mixture to a low boil while whisking. Then, let it cool.
- Strain the mixture into a medium mixing bowl, and cover it with plastic wrap. Chill it in a refrigerator for two hours.
- Then, pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and process it until the desired consistency is reached. Keep the gelato frozen until a few minutes before serving.
- To make the affogato, in a French press, cover the ground coffee with 1 1/2 cups of boiling water. Allow the coffee to brew for 3-5 minutes (a longer brewing time will generally yield stronger flavor). Slowly depress the plunger to separate the coffee from the grinds.
- Place a scoop of the dark chocolate gelato in a small bowl, and pour 1-2 ounces of the hot coffee over the top. Serve immediately with a side of Chocolate Chip Biscotti.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week